Monday, September 3, 2012

Memories from France - France Day 2: April 17th 2011

The next day, we slept in until noon (we were still trying to adjust to the time change). We got up and were ready just in time to go over to Mami and Papi's house for le dejeuner (lunch which is also the biggest meal of the day)! My Mami is the BEST cook! She made us salad, a Quiche Lorraine, Turkey with vegetables, cheeses (of course!), and a Black Forest cake for dessert! Her cooking was just as good as I remembered it! When we first got to my grandparents' house, I took Steven around the property. . .he was amazed! To me, not much had really changed in the 11+ years since I had been there; which to me was perfect! I very much dislike change! The rest of the afternoon and evening was spent looking at old family photos and making up for lost time! Poor Steven did not understand a word that was being said, because my grandparents don't speak any English! Surprisingly, my French came back so I spent a lot of time translating between my grandparents and Steven. It seems like during this trip, Steven and I learned a lot about the role that WWII played on Saint Die. It's crazy to think that a lot of the destruction happened right here.


Front apartments and driveway that lead down to my grandparents' home.

My grandparents' home in St. Die!

Steven exploring the property My uncle showing us Papi's "Man-Cave"

Small bridge that leads up into the forest ..................The chimney - the only thing left of the old house pre-WWII


(L) My great-grandfather's journal of his time spent in one of the concentration camps - Notice his ID number.
(R) Me looking at old family photos. . . .I love vintage photos, especially those of whom I love!

No comments:

Post a Comment